Spider Pest Control
In the UK, the spider is not usually a danger to humans, as it does not have a life threatening poisonous venom. However some species of spiders do bite, which may cause problems in humans sensitive to their venom. Spiders are a useful insect for controlling the fly and crawling insect populations, in the home and outside. Householders prone to arachnophobia, often consider spiders found in the house a pest. In these cases pest control may be necessary.
Spiders are usually more problematic during the autumn when they get indoors via open window or doors or on pets, packages or even people. They are usually looking for a warm, dry place to spend the cold winter months.
If you notice lots of spiders in your house, are plagued with spider webs or are phobic towards spiders you may need to seek a professional inspection, advice and control service to alleviate your spider problem.
Removing spiders from your home
If you’d like to do it yourself, spiders can easily be removed from your home by placing a jar or similar on top of the spider and then sliding a thin piece of cardboard underneath the opening. The spider can then be transported outside and safely released.
Non poisonous spider traps are available. One method is a fold together glue trap, which can be set up in areas of the house spiders frequent.
How to prevent spider infestation in your home
There are a number of practical ways to limit spider infestations:
- Remove any possible food source for spiders, e.g. bodies of dead flies and other crawling insects.
- Keep windows and doors closed in autumn, remove spider webs from around window and door areas.
- Keep your house clean and free of spider webs. Vacuum regularly, taking particular care to vacuum corners of rooms, fireplaces, under desks and sofas, as these may be resting places for sleeping spiders.
- Check outside for possible spider hoarding areas, like wood or leaf piles and overflowing garden rubbish sacks.
- Keep your property in a good state of repair. Block potential entry sights, damaged woodwork and holes around pipes that go into the house.
Biting spiders in the UK
If you are unsure of a spider in your house, you can seek advice from a professional pest removal service, like us. Most spiders are harmless to humans. There are two in the UK that bite:
- The False Widow – only bites defensively, if inadvertently squeezed. The bite is normally ineffectual in humans, although occasionally a sensitive individual may have a severe allergic reaction.
- The Yellow Sac spider – bite is painful and may cause swelling that lasts for over a week, initial nausea may accompany a bite.
Professional spider pest control
Spiders can be professionally controlled through using Speedy Pest Control. We’ll provide:
- Inspection of the site of suspected infestation.
- Advice on the type of spider species involved and possible actions needed.
- Treatment – this may be removal of webs, insecticidal fogging, and use of heat.
- Installation of a monitor in spider frequented areas, which trap the spiders.
For more information about spider pest control or to get a no obligation quote for our service, please call the Speedy Pest Control team on 0800 690 6920.
Spider Pest Control
Spiders are arachnids, not insects.We can get rid of spiders by so many commercial spider sprays.
Spiders don’t bite people very often. There is a belief that spiders come into your bed and bite you during the night.