German Cockroach Pest Control
The German cockroach inhabits humid areas in domestic and commercial buildings. This pest is commonly found in kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms, particularly near to heating ducts and pipes. Nocturnal creatures, they are difficult to identify and remove.
What they look like
An adult German cockroach’s flat, egg-shaped shaped body is yellowy-brown in colour. 10 -15 millimetres in length, with long, thin antennae and two black lines behind its head. They have wings but rarely fly, using their fast, erratic walk to escape from potential threats.
How cockroaches get in
Possible ways cockroaches can gain access to your buildings are:
- Damaged sewer or waste pipes are a potential entry source for cockroaches.
- They can also invade cracks and crevices in the bricks and wooden areas of the building and then migrate to areas with food, warmth and water.
- Bags and packaging from outside sources brought into the home or business can harbour cockroaches or more likely their eggs can cause the original infestation.
How to identify a cockroach infestation
Spotting the nocturnal, German cockroach can be a difficult task. Infestation is identifiable from:
- Droppings – The presence of their cylindrical shaped black droppings, or if there is plentiful water supply, their waste deposits may appear as brown smears on surfaces the cockroaches have frequented.
- Skins – Cockroaches shed their skins to grow, so look out for deposits of dead skin.
- Smell – Cockroaches create a musty, distinctive smell.
- Noise – A chirping noise is often made by German Cockroaches.
How to prevent a cockroach infestation
German cockroaches are scavengers and will eat any sort of food, waste or packaging. Their egg cases are resilient and easily transportable. The adult female carries up to 30 Nymph cockroaches until one or two days before they hatch, on average 100 days after laying.
In order to keep German cockroaches off your premises it is important to:
- Keep food covered.
- Ensure food preparation surfaces are clean.
- Bag up waste food and dispose of it correctly.
- Regularly check and maintain your house or commercial premises, particularly waste pipes, drains, bricks and woodwork.
- Check bags and cartons bought into the house for signs of cockroaches.
- Check regularly for signs of possible infestation and take curative measures using a reputable pest control company like Speedy Pest Control immediately.
Why cockroaches are harmful
Cockroaches are carriers of pathogens that cause salmonella, E Coli and Typhus. Cockroach’s dead skin and egg cases may heighten sensitivity in people with allergies, eczema and asthma.
How to control cockroaches
Check your food preparation and storage areas for signs of cockroach infiltration. Also check humid areas in your house or commercial property.
Prevention is the best form of pest control but if you suspect a cockroach infestation you need to use an insecticide specifically designed for killing cockroaches. Treat all areas of possible contamination and be careful to keep away from people (as far as is possible).
Get expert advice and treatment from our team of specialists at Speedy Pest Control. Call today for a no obligation quote and we can help eliminate any cockroach infestation you may currently be experiencing.
Cockroach Pest Control
Cockroaches are the most common insects that we find in our homes, offices etc.,
They are found to be an important source of causing allergies in people. Therefore, we should eliminate a cockroach infestation as quickly as possible. One of the ways is to use baits and boric acid to eliminate your cockroach problem.
If you find any cockroaches or other pest related problems in your home, we offer a call out service to deal with the pest infestation.